Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Cohanim R1b1b2 ht35 from first Temple Times
The family and group studies of R1b projects keep confounding the experts. The family projects of R1b M222 has drastically shortened the age of R1b and R1b1b2. Then the shock of shocks was that Tutankhamen is not only R1b1b2 but of ht15 demonstrating that R1b1b2 ht15 was also to be found in the Middle East at an early date (how early depends on whether you date him conventionally or by Velikovsky revision) and is not just some Crusader raping Jewish and Muslim women. Now R1b1b2 ht 35 found among those with traditional claims of Cohanim ancestry goes back to the time of the First Temple.
Sean Silver of the Cohane Jewish R1b project writes in December 2010:"...I just came back from the 6th annual International Conference of Genetic Genealogy, sponsored by Family Tree DNA, where I had the chance to talk to some of the world's foremost population geneticists and experts about our project. Interest is extremely high and our project itself was instrumental in compelling the scientific community to change the prevailing theory on R1b migration. They are now convinced that a portion of R1b, which includes a sizeable portion of our project, never entered Western Europe and that the genetic footprints left by our ancestors indicate a legitimate Middle Eastern origin...."
Sean Silver then lists eight findings: "...The following findings are different than what was first expected:
1. Far fewer evidence of admixture (introduction of non-Jewish DNA)
2. Far fewer clusters (groups of members with a recent common ancestor, within recorded history)
3. These clusters are far older
4. Almost half of our project members are part of a distinct and ancient Middle Eastern lineage, likely predating the founding of Judaism 4,000 years ago
5. We have roughly 300 members, all (save a rare few) of which have a definitive Jewish paternal lineage without a history of conversion
6. Those we do not have such a history are adopted, and were admitted because they closely match our clusters (I consulted with Bennett Greenspan, President of Family Tree DNA, on their inclusion)
7. Almost all our project members do not have any non-Jewish matches beyond the basic Y-12 YDNA test
8. We have 31 Cohanim (all of whom have an oral tradition of being Cohanim) in two distinct clusters, all of whom who only have Cohane matches. This lineage seems ancient and per Bennett Greenspan predates Roman times. It is possible, via a rough calculation, that they may have a common ancestor around 2,600 years ago (around the time of the first temple)..." Sean then explains what this means : "So what does this mean? It means that at least half of our project members have been Jews since ancient times and almost all our members did not become Jews as a result of recent conversions. There is a chance that a sizeable portion of the other half may have Middle Eastern origins as well...".
I believe the one half of this group are the Cohanim, the other the Levites. Here we find families that for centuries claimed Cohen status that have genetic proof that they share a common cluster and that their common ancestor takes them back to First Temple Times. For me this demonstrates that they are the real Levites. The only other contender for Cohen is the J Cohens who would also seem to go back to First Temple times. Either the R1b or J2 or J1 are the Levitical Cohens descended from Aaron or they are the Samaritan-origin Cohens. When we look at the y-dna of the Samaritans we find both J2 and J1 and E1b but no R1b. We know that the Scriptures state that the Samaritans are not of Israelite blood but come from areas of the Assyrian Empire especially from Cuthath. I hold that the J y-dna is the Assyrian-Aramean y-dna and its brother I is possibly the Assyrian y-dna from Ashur the brother of Aram. Velikovsky in his writings ("Beyond the Mountains of Darkness") mentions that the Assyrians placed some of the Israelites into Europe in the area of the middle Volga near the city of Samara. Later the royal Ashur race of the Assyrians fled from the Persian conquest to Samara region and they later became known as the Samartians (I y-dna). The Israelites (R1b Scythian Cimmerians) fled West from the Assyrians into the land of Arsareth. Later the R1a Edomite Scythians pushed the Samartians out of this region.
Sean Silver also shares how difficult it was for him to get anyone to accept that R1b could possibly be an old Jewish y-dna group but it seems that his project has forced many experts to accept that R1b is not just recent admixture in the Jewish community but goes back to ancient times. Others are having a hard time to get anyone to consider that even alot of R1b ht15 among Jews is from ancient Jewish families not just those whose ancestors have converted in recent times. One may start with the r1b1b2 L21 Ashkenazim of Eastern Europe that seem to be a distinct Jewish group among Jews. There are also Sephardi Jews of this R1b L21 haplogroup. This group is found only in small percentages in Spain (5%) and that Sephardi Jews have it, leads one to consider that the Catholics of R1b L21 are of crypto Jewish ancestry [which some of them indeed claim to be]. I believe this L21 group is of Davidic lineage. This is also the group of much of Europe's Royalty who until recent times usually married among themselves.
One criticism of Sean Silver is that he assumes that all R1b1b2 ht15 is non-Jewish. It seems that those who will follow in demonstrating that certain ht15 Jews have been Jews for centuries may come up against the same kind of battles that Sean himself experienced. We all owe a debt of gratitude to people like Sean Silver who are running family and small group Dna projects which are revealing the truth at a much more rapid rate than would have happened otherwise. The openness of the data to the general public protects against misuse by entrenched academic elites.
also read R1b Davidic sons of Joseph of Arimathea
Note: There is also an Ashkenazi cluster from Belarus that is R-L21 and has traditional Levite status for many generations. It would seem that this group is in fact of R1b Davidic ydna not R1b Levite. Their ancestor was a scion of the Davidic dynasty who took ha Levi identity in the Middle Ages possibly from a maternal ancestor of the ha Levi families.